Friday, August 19, 2016

Sherline Lathe: A Poor First Try


I recently snagged a Sherline lathe in good condition for about $40, which was a steal! With some prior lathe experience, I tested out this lathe with an optimistic perspective. That, as it turns out, was off the mark!



The first thing that I did when I got the lathe was oil all the working surfaces. I then raised the cutting bit to the centerline of the lath so that it cut the workpiece appropriately.



Using some small aluminum scraps to raise up the tool.


I chose this small scrap of 1/2 inch aluminum rod to test out the lathe.


Pretty harmless- no sweat if this works or fails.


Setting up the workpiece- the aluminum part is ready to machine...


 Using a high feed rate, and no cutting fluid yielded this mess. Time to rethink this process- I'm sure there is a good way to turn metal on this lathe, but I haven't figured it out yet.